Lightspeed is seeking an Assistant General Counsel, Securities to serve as a key member to join the legal team. This role reports directly to the General Counsel and Corporate Secretary.
What you’ll be responsible for
- Manage the Company’s public disclosure obligations in Canada and the U.S.
- Oversee the Company’s compliance with securities laws and regulations and stock exchange (TSX and NYSE) rules
- Execute on a variety of corporate, securities, M&A and similar transactions and provide advice on and implement corporate governance initiatives.
- Provide support on complex, multi-party, cross-functional projects and ad hoc analysis.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to stakeholders including the Board of Directors, Finance, Sales, Marketing, Product and Technology, and Information Technology.
- Develop, draft, revise, administer, implement and interpret the company’s compliance policies, procedures and programs.
- Support the General Counsel in managing the Legal department budget, department planning matters, stakeholder-focused programs and initiatives, and legal team infrastructure.
- Use judgement, make recommendations, and solve legal or business problems, sometimes within tight deadlines.
- Liaise with regulatory bodies and government authorities as required.
- Participate in the training of colleagues and stakeholder groups.
- Assist in managing outside counsel engagements.
- Assist with special requests from the executive team and Board of Directors.
What you’ll be bringing to the team
- LLB or JD is a requirement for the position, as well as being called to a state or provincial bar;
- 3-6 years corporate transactional experience in a cross-border securities practice (including MJDS experience)
- Strong knowledge of contract terms and conditions, including liability, indemnity, limitation of liability and IP considerations
- Proven effectiveness managing a multitude of stakeholders and worksteams in a corporate transactional environment
- Able to handle a high volume of assignments
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent written and spoken English
Even better if you have, but not necessary
- You are technologically-inclined
- You have public company experience
- You’ve worked with SaaS companies in the past
- You have excellent written and spoken French
Who you are
- An adept problem solver
- Strongly team-focused
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong strategic thinking and analytical skills
- Detail-oriented, autonomous, and able to take initiative and accountability
What’s in it for you
- This is your chance to play a key role in continuing to build out the legal function for one of Montreal's and Canada's most exciting companies.
- Lots of autonomy, flexible work culture and possibility of remote work
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders
- Supportive colleagues, strong culture of collaboration cross-functionally, cool tech law problems to solve on a daily basis.
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family, a true Canadian tech success story.
Who we are
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers small and medium-sized businesses with its cloud-based, omni-channel commerce platforms in over 100 countries around the world. With smart, scalable, and dependable point of sale systems, Lightspeed provides all-in-one solutions that help restaurants and retailers sell across channels, manage operations, engage with consumers, accept payments, and grow their business.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, USA, Europe, and Australia.
We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do!