Lightspeed is seeking an experienced Data Scientist to join our growing Data Science team. Our mission is to bring cities and communities to life by powering small and medium businesses. The Data Science team helps to achieve this objective by leveraging best practices in machine learning and optimization to augment our products and optimize our business. We work with internal and external stakeholders to identify problems and opportunities, develop and pilot innovative solutions, and contribute to intellectual property.
Lightspeed powers small and medium-sized businesses in over 100 countries around the world with its cloud-based commerce platform. Its smart, scalable, and dependable all-in-one Point of Sale software system helps restaurants and retailers sell across channels, manage operations, engage with consumers, accept payments, and grow their business. Founded in 2005 with offices in Canada, USA, Europe and Australia, Lightspeed recently completed its initial public offering on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: LSPD). We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do.
- Frame business problems in a quantitative framework, determining best approaches to develop solutions
- Develop innovative solutions applying predictive analytics to transactional and behavioral, structured or unstructured data
- Use statistical inference to identify drivers for critical events such as churning customers
- Design and oversee experiments to answer targeted questions and establish causality
- Define and solve optimization problems related, but not limited to, logistics, pricing, call center, and marketing
- Apply prescriptive analytics to inform decision making across departments
- Document and define projects including data gathering and processing, experimentation methods, final algorithm, detailed set of results and analytical metrics
- Develop materials to explain project findings to various audiences across the company
- Significant experience building data science solutions to solve business problems
- Strong theoretical foundation and technical skills related to machine learning/AI with proven track record
- Graduate degree preferred in mathematics, engineering, statistics, computer science, or other quantitative field
- Proficient in Python or R, and SQL
- Extensive experience querying large, complex data sets
- Experience with cloud platforms such as GCP and AWS and distributed systems
- Experience with anomaly detection and classification for imbalanced datasets
- Operations research experience in a medium to large scale retail or ecommerce environment.
- Experience providing training or education workshops to train others in data science or related topics
- Involvement in the data science / machine learning community
What's in It for You?
In addition to the perks you see on the Careers page, you’ll get access to:
- A beautifully renovated office space in a castle; one of the best development centres in Montreal;
- An environment that encourages initiatives and leadership;
- Happy hour every Friday afternoon;
- Birthday treats every month to celebrate our employees;
- Social events throughout the year including the legendary annual holiday party;
- Fun activities with your teammates - be part of the Lightspeed family;
- Work with highly talented people who are as passionate about their craft as you are!