Lightspeed is on the hunt for a Risk Underwriter to join our Payments Operations team. You will play an integral role in the preliminary risk assessment process. You will interact with the sales and marketing team to help potential payment customers secure payment products and services. Through its suite of products, Lightspeed processes billions in transaction volume. We are looking for a leader who can help us build the team, processes, and systems to ensure we effectively, profitably, and securely price, evaluate risk and underwrite our clients.
You will work on Compliance, Underwriting, and Transaction Review (Risk) functions and initially examine sub-merchant applications for legal compliance requirements and adherence to individual company guidelines.
Lightspeed powers small and medium-sized businesses in over 100 countries around the world with its cloud-based commerce platform. Its smart, scalable, and dependable all-in-one Point of Sale software system helps restaurants and retailers sell across channels, manage operations, engage with consumers, accept payments, and grow their business. Founded in 2005 with offices in Canada, USA, Europe and Australia, Lightspeed recently completed its initial public offering on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: LSPD). We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do.
- Conduct risk assessment and decisioning of applications in the underwriting queue within assigned businesses, in line with acceptable risks as defined within the payment operation policies;
- As directed, help design and implement procedures for escalating suspect fraud cases including creating mechanisms by which risk-appropriate adjustments can be incorporated within the fraud management process to reduce potential losses.
- Identify and approve good payment business opportunities to help grow margin while rejecting/declining deals that are assessed to be outside of Lightspeed’s risk appetite for lending.
- Maintain good relationships with various team including responding to questions and concerns that may be urgent in nature.
- Contribute to operational improvements to streamline procedures/processes and enhance service.
- On a daily, weekly, and monthly basis, develop and communicate standard reporting package of applications reviewed and decisioned by underwriting as a means of providing intelligence to the executives, sales, marketing and support teams, and other stakeholders;
- Protect the interests of Lightspeed by ensuring the application is being adjudicated in accordance with assigned discretionary limits and established guidelines.
- Perform due diligence in support of all sub-merchant applications.
- Escalate with recommendation those applications that exceed discretionary limits and established guidelines.
- Strong credit and risk acumen - Subject Matter Expert with knowledge of risk and underwriting analysis.
- Strong knowledge of various sanction lists and compliance policy
- Advanced knowledge of products, end to end processes and systems.
- Experience in the decision making of complex sub-merchant applications.
- 2-5 years at a FinTech, Lending or within the Banking industry
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or other business-related field
- Excellent English communication (verbal and written)
What's in It for You?
In addition to the perks you see on the Careers page, you’ll get access to:
- A beautifully renovated office space in a castle; one of the best development centres in Montreal;
- An environment that encourages initiatives and leadership;
- Happy hour every Friday afternoon;
- Birthday treats every month to celebrate our employees;
- Social events throughout the year including the legendary annual holiday party;
- Fun activities with your teammates - be part of the Lightspeed family;
- Work with highly talented people who are as passionate about their craft as you are!